Bringing home a new baby is a joyous but also hectic time– even if the baby is a dog!
Our team at All Creatures Veterinary Center wants to help your new puppy to have a head start to a long, happy, and healthy life. Just like with human babies and children– young dogs also need more frequent doctors visits and vaccinations than adults. And at home, they will require a lot of time and supervision while they are learning how to be a part of your household!
Here is a checklist of puppy-care items to help you keep track of their veterinary needs:
- Vaccinations – We recommend a series of three visits for puppies to receive their vaccinations. During these visits, the veterinarian or veterinary assistant will also be able to assess if your puppy is growing healthy and strong, and you will be able to ask any questions you might have about their upbringing. These visits should be scheduled when your puppy is between 6-8 weeks, 10-12 weeks, and 14-16 weeks.
- Microchipping – All puppies should receive a microchip implanted between their shoulder blades associated with your contact information. This will help reunite them with you should they ever become lost.
- Spay/Neuter Procedure – We highly recommend spay/neuter procedure for all companion animals. This lengthens their lifespan, makes them more trainable, and most importantly, prevents any surprise litters!
Are you planning on bringing home a sweet little kitten in the near future?
Before you do, consider having them tested for Feline AIDS and Feline Leukemia before introducing them to any other cats. These contagious and deadly diseases are unfortunately common place among cats.
Here is a checklist of items to help you stay on track with your kitten early-life care:
- Vaccinations – Kittens should receive vaccinations in a series of three visits, and while your kitten is in the office it will give us a chance to ensure they are developing at a healthy rate.
- Spay/Neuter Procedure – Did you know that a female kitten can become pregnant as early as 5-months old? Keep your kitty safe from an unplanned pregnancy by having her spayed before her first heat period. In addition, unneutered male cats are notorious for running away and spraying urine. Avoid these unpleasant sexual behaviors by having them neutered at a young age.
- Microchipping – This pain-free and fast procedure can save you and your cat heartache down the line. The microchip is associated with your contact information, and if your cat ever becomes lost, they will always have this form of identification with them.
Preventative Care Packages
We know that the various veterinary services your pet may need can add up fast, and at many veterinary offices, the final bill can be a surprise to owners. We intend our preventative care packages to create more transparency in pricing so you can budget more effectively and save some of your hard-earned-money. We believe that veterinary care should be a practical and affordable option for all pet owners. Learn more about the canine and feline packages.